By Emma Smith, Contributing author an experienced and professional blogger
If you are playing any sports or involved in any kind of recreational activities that can lead to the damage of your teeth, then you must wear mouthguards.
This article will provide you with all the information related to mouthguards. So, let’s start with understanding what are mouthguards?
What are mouthguards?
Mouthguards are soft rubber devices worn by athletes over teeth to protect them from any damage and injury. They are quite helpful in buffering damage to teeth and they also act as the barrier between teeth and cheeks, lips and tongue and further limit the soft tissue damage. They are practical and easy to use.
Who should wear a mouth guard?
Here are the people who must wear these guards:
- Sports personalities and athletes.
- People with teeth grinding problem.
- Students when playing sports.
- People when doing outdoor recreational activities.
- If you drive a bike or any other two-wheeler.
- If you are a jockey or car race driver.
- If you have to work on heights.
Preventive health maintenance is very important. Many diseases often have no advance symptoms. So even if you feel well you can identify them before they become advanced.
Here are over 20 ebooks which will help you to boost your overall health, lose your weight, improve your self-esteem and self-confidence
What are different types of mouthguards?
Some of the basic kinds of mouthguards are:
- Stock mouthguards: They are ready to wear guards made of rubber mostly and can be purchased from medicals or sports shops.
- Mouth-formed guards: They are also known as boil and bite mouthguards because the can be re-heated and refitted if you face any problems in their fitting. They provide better fitting than other guards.
- Custom fitted mouthguards: These are made to order guards and they provide the greatest degree of fitting because they are made with proper measurements.
- Night guards: People suffering from bruxism or teeth grinding problem where these guards. It protects the wear and tear of teeth due to grinding and pressure.
- Sports bite guards: These are specially made for athletes and sportspersons for preventing them from injuries and damage.
What are the benefits of mouthguards?
Some major benefits achieved from wearing these guards are mentioned here:
- They prevent tooth fracture
- They prevent laceration and bruising.
- They act as a barrier
- They prevent opposing teeth from contacting each other
- They prevent fracture o lower jaw
- They help in the prevention of neck injuries
- They make athletes more confident
- They prevent tooth displacement
- They prevent knocking out of tooth
- They prevent your tongue, gums and lip injuries.
How to take care of the mouth guard?
Few basic things that should be kept in mind while using these guards are:
- Always keep it cool and dry but don’t refrigerate it.
- Don’t eat when wearing guards.
- Don’t sleep with it if it is not recommended to do so.
- Keep it clean and hygienic.
- Use a proper case for storing it and never keep it anywhere else.
- Buy the best-fit guard
How to keep it clean?
Here are few basic steps to keep your guards clean:
- Scrub your guard and clean it with room temperature water
- After rinsing dry it out
- Use a solution specially made to clean the guard.
- Never share your guard with anyone or use anyone else’s guard.
Jaw and injuries are very painful and difficult to heal. They burn a hole in the pocket as you have to take costly treatments. They make you uncomfortable and inactive unless you recover. Therefore, if you don’t wish to go through such pain then you must wear these guards. For specific requirements you must take recommendations from your doctor.
Emma Smith, is an experienced and professional blogger. Here you can see her skills which give you small ideas on understanding all the thoughts with different themes. She love to write the blog on various topics, like home improvement, business, automotive, law etc. You can find her on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and Pinterest