There are many studies where the benefits of goji berries are researched. Goji berries contain more beta carotene than carrots and 400 times more vitamin C than oranges. They contain a high amount of Vitamins B1, B6, and Vitamin E. Several studies have been published in China showing good medical results. Scientific interest and research for benefits of goji berries are ongoing.
University of Sidney’s Studies
1. According to the study published by researchers at the University of Sidney; Ancient Berry could fight diabetic blindness caused by long-term diabetes.
The Professor of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Basil Roufogalis who was the leading researcher stated:
“We found that goji berry protected against the death of cells caused by high concentrations of glucose in the retina. This protection occurred in parallel with the activation by the extract of the receptor protein (PPAR-gamma). The pure taurine found in the extract mimicked the effects of the goji berry extract.”
2. In a study published in 2010, researchers at the University of Sydney found that when mice drank goji berry juice, the antioxidant activity in their skin increased and the damaging effects of exposure to ultraviolet rays were reduced.
PubMed’s citations and abstracts for benefits of goji berries.
4. Goji Berries are a perfect natural antioxidant and can boost our immune system. Regular use of goji berry beyond 30 days can prevent, help or reduce free radical-related conditions.
5. 14 days use of Goji Berries can improve general well-being and boost our mental health and gastrointestinal functions. Further research is needed to confirm Benefits of Goji berries upon these functions.
6. 90 days use of Goji Berries can protect the retina and protect from hypopigmentation and soft drusen accumulation in the macula of elderly subjects. Further research is needed to confirm Benefits of Goji berries upon these functions
University of Michigan’s Studies
7. Researchers in the University of Michigan found that Goji Berries
- Increase longevity
- Enhance immune function,
- Improve circulation and eyesight,
- Protect the liver
- Increase sperm production
Study published in the Journal of Nutrition
8. In the study published in the Journal of Nutrition scientists at the Jean Mayer US Department of Agriculture Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging (USDA HNRCA) at Tufts University found that goji berries can protect against the fly. The research was conducted with older male mice for 30 days. First, the researchers give the mice twofluvaccines. After that, they infected the mice with a fly virus. They fed them with controlled diet or a 5% goji berry diet during this period. They found that mice that were fed with goji berry have a higher antibody response than the mice that only receive the vaccine.
Medline Plus in its articles about the benefits of the Goji Berry stated:
9. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database rates effectiveness based on scientific evidence according to the following scale: Effective, Likely Effective, Possibly Effective, Possibly Ineffective, Likely Ineffective, Ineffective, and Insufficient Evidence to Rate.
The effectiveness ratings for GOJI are as follows:
Insufficient evidence to rate the effectiveness of…
- Dry eyes. Early research suggests that using Hialid eye drops and drinking a specific product (Runmushu Oral Liquid) containing Rehmannia root, figwort, lilyturf root, dendrobium stem, goji fruit, chrysanthemum, and stick tight for one month may improve symptoms of dry eyes better than Hialid eye drops alone in older women.
- The quality of life. Some early research shows that drinking goji juice (GoChi, Freelife International LLC) for 14-30 days improves energy levels, athletic performance, sleep quality, the sharpness of the mind, calmness, feelings of health and contentment, mood, and bowel regularity. However, other evidence suggests that drinking the same goji juice does not improve short-term memory or eyesight in healthy adults.
- Weight loss. Early research suggests that drinking goji juice (GoChi, Freelife International LLC) for 2 weeks in addition to following a diet and exercise program may decrease waist size in healthy, overweight adults. However, it does not appear to improve weight or body fat.
- High blood pressure.
- Blood circulation problems.
- Sexual problems (impotence).
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus).
- Other conditions.
More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of goji for these uses.
Source : https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/natural/1025.html
In every case we recommend you to consult your doctor for their intake. No contraindications are known, but results may vary from people to people.