5 Hidden Health Dangers Lurking in Your Home

5 Hidden Health Dangers Lurking in Your Home

- in Guest Posts, Healthy Food, How to
701
0
Health Dangers

Your home might not be as safe as you think. There are probably numerous health dangers hidden in your home, leaving you exposed to their harmful effects. Prolonged exposure to some of these chemicals, toxins, allergens and other substances can affect your health, causing a range of mild to serious problems. Therefore, you should reveal which health dangers are lurking in your home and implement appropriate steps to eliminate them.

5 Hidden Health Dangers Lurking in Your Home

1.      Lead

Although lead-based products have been almost entirely eliminated from everyday use, this toxic metal is still present in old homes that were built before the 1970s and 1980s. Lead is extremely hazardous and it can cause various health problems, including nerve disorders, behavioral issues, mental development hindrances, etc. It’s most typically found in lead-based paints, contaminated soil, dust, and even water, especially if you have old pipework. Therefore, if you have an old house, you should test it for a lead. If you determine that lead is present in your home, you should contact professionals for lead removal. In addition, you shouldn’t use hot water for drinking if you have lead-based pipes because it contributes to lead seeping.

2.      Mold

Mold is one of the most common health dangers found in homes across the world. If you’re exposed to mold spores for a prolonged period of time, you can experience health problems, such as coughing, congestion, eye irritation, asthma attacks, respiratory issues, and lung infection, especially if you’re susceptible to severe allergic reactions. Mold growth is triggered by high levels of moisture and humidity in homes with poor ventilation. You can remove mold on your own or call experienced professionals. Either way, after mold removal, you should add an effective air filter that will be able to eliminate mold spores from your home.

3.      Asbestos

Not so long ago, asbestos was actually used as a construction material due to its versatility and durability. It was one of the most popular solutions in construction, and some countries used it heavily. In fact, Australia was one of the leading countries that used asbestos. After several years, it was proven that asbestos is a deadly carcinogen and that prolonged exposure to this hazard can cause severe health problems, such as lung cancer, asbestosis, mesothelioma and others.

If your home was built before 1980, it’s likely that it contains asbestos-based products and under no circumstances should you disturb it. Only experienced and trained professionals should remove it. In Australia, only the licensed operators can conduct asbestos evaluation and removal. Furthermore, Australian professionals need to meet certain legal requirements and create laboratories for comprehensive asbestos testing in Sydney. Therefore, if you suspect that there’s asbestos in your home, you should get in touch with competent experts and let them do the job.

4.      Carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide is known as the “silent killer” in households because there are no signs of its presence. This deadly gas is odourless and flavourless and it can cause health problems that resemble a simple flue, resulting even in death. Some of the causes and sources of carbon monoxide include burning of an organic fuel in a place without proper ventilation, tobacco smoke, automobile exhaust, fireplaces, wood stoves, gas space and water heaters and kerosene. You can eliminate the risk of carbon monoxide exposure by having an experienced technician service your gas, oil or coal appliances, heating system, water heater, etc. In addition, you should install a carbon monoxide detector on each floor in your home, including the basement.

5.      Carpet hazards

You’d be surprised by the number of hazards hidden right under your feet. Carpets are home to numerous toxins and allergens, including chemicals, dust mites, dander, dirt, etc. You also probably noticed that a brand-new carpet has that distinct smell. This is because it has been treated with different chemicals during its production that can be released into your air through the process of off-gassing. This is particularly dangerous if you have children who have just started crawling or spend a lot of time playing on the floor. Fortunately, these hazards can be easily eliminated. You should have your carpets professionally cleaned at least twice a year. An even better solution is to switch to eco-friendly rugs that are made of natural materials and contain non-toxic glue.

It’s important that you learn about all the health hazards lurking in your home because only then will you be able to create a completely healthy home environment.

Cooper Klein is a cool dad in touch with his feminine side. He’s currently working from home as a blogger for several online magazines. You can find him on Twitter.

Liked this article? Share it to say “thanks!” Your support is much appreciated!

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

You may also like

Smart Tech: A Smart Choice For the Environment

By  Jenn Samson Contributing Author, a passionate  freelance writer,