Being that there are a lot of factors that may cause you to have a sore throat, there are also a lot of remedies for the condition. Sore throats are just as irritating as they are painful, but the good news is that you don’t have to go to the pharmacy to relieve the pain. There are a lot of sore throat home remedies you can whip up in a second to help with the inflammation.
Gargle with Salt Water and Baking Soda
Warm salt water and baking soda can help soothe a sore throat and kill any bacteria in the throat. The salt absorbs the fluid that is causing inflammation in the throat and makes it easier for the throat muscles to contract and relax without causing you pain.
– Mix half a teaspoon of salt into a glass of warm water
– Gargle the mixture every three hours or so to keep your throat clean and reduce the swelling in the area
– You may also choose to mix ¼ teaspoon baking soda with a cup of warm water and 1/8 teaspoon of salt to help kill any yeast and fungi in the throat.
– Mixing dry sage leaves in warm water and gargling with the solution could also help reduce the pain.
Honey has been used to treat different conditions for generations now, and when it comes to using it as one of the many sore throat home remedies, you simply have to take it or mix it in your tea and let it cure a sore throat.
The Most Soothing of all the Sore Throat Home Remedies; Chamomile
Chamomile tea is known for its medicinal properties. It has been used as an anti-inflammatory agent, an antioxidant, and has also been used for its astringent properties, but what makes chamomile tea perfect for curing a sore throat is its naturally soothing property.
Good Old Apple Cider Vinegar
The antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar place it at the top of the list of sore throat home remedies. The vinegar is also highly acidic and can, therefore, break down the mucus in the throat and stop the bacterial infection from spreading. Here is how to use ACV to cure a sore throat:
– Mix 1 or 2 tablespoons of ACV into a cup of water and gargle it once or twice every hour
– Since the vinegar is acidic, it might leave you with a dry throat so drink a lot of water while in a gargling session.
– Make sure to consult with your doctor first if your body is sensitive to vinegar.
The natural antibacterial properties in garlic make it perfect for fighting off infections, and the fact that it contains an organosulfur compound named allicin only makes garlic a better remedy for sore throats.
You can choose to cook it in your food or directly suck on a garlic clove to relieve your sore throat, but if you go with the latter, brush your teeth afterward.
There are a lot of other substances like peppermint, cayenne pepper, and marshmallow root that can help relieve your sore throat, so the next time you are in pain, remember this list and take a pick at one or two components that you feel the best suit you.