Many factors affect the health of your eyes. Genetic factors and aging affect the vision, but with a healthy lifestyle, balanced diet which is rich in antioxidant-rich foods and the best eye health supplements, you may improve your sight and eye’s health. Before taking any eye health supplements, consult your ophthalmologist. They can determine what kind of supplements will be used according to your eye because what works for some people, does not work for others.
The Best Eye Health Supplements
Lutein and zeaxanthin
Both The lutein and the zeaxanthin are carotenoids. The human eye’s macula has high concentrations of them. Consume this eye health supplements to:
- Protect your eyes by blocking blue and ultraviolet lights, because they can reach the underlying structures in the retina and damage it.
- Lower the risk of AMD, glaucoma, and cataracts
- Improve visual activity
- Prevent oxidative damage
- Prevent cases of dry eye
- Improve contrast sensitivity
Recommended Daily Dose:
4–8 mg zeaxanthin and
6–12 mg lutein
Omega-3 fatty acids
Daily intake of Omega 3 supplements may:
- Reduce the risk of retina damage
- Protect eyes from AMD
- Protect eyes from dry eye syndrome.
- Decrease the risk of glaucoma
- Lower the risk of high eye pressure
According to researchers, it is better to take omega-3 fatty acids via food. A healthy diet rich in omega -3 fatty acid is more effective in protecting the eyes and reducing the risks of eye diseases, than nutritional supplements. Fatty fish like Mackerel, Salmon, White Tuna, Sardines, and Herring is rich with omega-3 fatty acids. Eat fatty fish twice a week.
Your eyes use a lot of Coenzyme Q10. Regular consumption of Coenzyme 10 may prevent the process of blindness from AMD, in early stages. This supplement keeps mitochondria healthier.
You can’t satisfy your daily intake of this supplement only by the food. The recommended dose is 50 mg if you don’t have
- High cholesterol,
- Age-related memory loss,
- Heart disease,
- High blood pressure,
If you have any of these diseases take 100-150 mg daily, because prescript drugs for these illnesses tend to empty Coenzyme Q10 levels.
Antioxidants are used for treating and preventing many diseases. All of them improve our immune system and boost our health.
Daily intake of
Vitamin E 400 IU in combination with
Vitamin C 500 mg
May reduce the risk of cataracts. This combination may slow the progression of cataracts too.
According to the AREDS2 daily intake of:
Vitamin E 400 IU
Vitamin C 500 mg
Copper 2 mg
Zinc 80 mg
In combination with 10mg lutein and 2mg zeaxanthin may treat following diseases:
- AMD – Age-related macular degeneration
- Eye infections
- Retinitis pigmentosa
Vitamin B1 in combination with other vitamins may
- Reduce the risk and the progress of getting cataracts
- Reduce uveitis, which basically is eye inflammation that can lead to blindness
Everyone has to eat food, vegetables, and fruits rich in antioxidants, from an early age, in order to boost their immune system and strength their sight. According to some studies, food rich with antioxidants can protect against glaucoma.
To keep your eyes healthy in addition to The Best Eye Health Supplements and the healthy diet you have to:
- Drink a 6-8 cups of water daily
- Use artificial tears to keep them moist
- If your house is dry, use a humidifier
- Avoid dusty environments
- To relax your eyes use cucumbers, cold compresses, or chamomile tea bags
- Change regularly your air conditioner filters